Friday, October 16, 2009

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes (with mini chocolate chips)


I’m so behind on this blog, it’s ridiculous! I’ve been procrastinating on school work and what not, and so I haven’t been keeping up with my baking. But I finally feel like I’m somewhat caught up in classes, and am trying to start up baking more. J

Val and I made chocolate Halloween cupcakes. First of all it was such an ordeal, because we wanted to use these cute Halloween paper cupcake cups that Val found at Hobby Lobby, unfortunately they were forgotten when I picked up Val. L BUT-My mom had agreed to bring them by the next day. J Alas…she could not find them. She searched the car, Val’s room, the kitchen, but found nothing. L BUT-then my mom was nice enough to pick some up at Target, that were equally as cute. J Yay! So after the paper cupcake cups trauma had passed, we started our one-bowl chocolate cupcakes.

I decided to make 1 ½ recipe because it was only going to make 2 dozen, and recipes rarely make as much as they say anyway. I wanted to have enough to bring to work and for Val to take some home as well. So I thought 3 dozen would be plenty. I sifted all the dry ingredients together first and then started adding the wet ingredients. Everything was going fine, until I started to add the eggs, only to find out that one of my eggs had had a crack in it and stuck to carton and oozed egg everywhere. L Alas…this had been the exact amount of eggs I had needed, and now I was one short. Mayonnaise. Yes, you can substitute 3 tablespoons of mayo for 1 whole egg. So this is what I did. I also added a cup of mini chocolate chips just for fun!

I must have added too much mayo or maybe I should have lessened the oil, since I added the mayo, because after baking the first dozen, the middles had sunken. L So before scooping out the second dozen I added some more flour and lowered the temp of the oven. The second dozen came out better, but still didn’t rise as much as I wanted, but I kept on baking and before I knew it the recipe had made like 5 dozen cupcakes!! There were so many! And we had to decorate them all!

We did spiderwebs, ghosties, pumpkins, jack o’lanterns, headstones, and then we got to the last dozen and just slapped on the Halloween sprinkles and sugar, because we were tired of being intricate with our designs.

They turned out REALLY moist and yummy despite the mishap. And also really cute!

2 comments:

  1. Ghosties!
    Anytime anyone says 'Alas', I think of Dumbledore! I can't be the only one.
    Super delicious cupcakes! I meant to take your stale ones home with me but forgot :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of Dumbledore whenever I see an old guy with a beard. I even imagine the hat on them. Also whenever a phoenix drops a sword on my head. Surprisingly the later happens more often.

    ReplyDelete