Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Best Biscuits











These are THE best biscuits EVER! I make them all the time for biscuits and gravy. They are simple and easy enough to make in the morning. I use to make them with half whole-wheat flour, which is good, BUT they are so much lighter and fluffier when using all white flour. So you can decide, health or taste.

2 cups all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ cup butter

¼ cup shortening

1 egg

2/3 cup milk

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

The original recipe calls for a whole ½ cup of shortening, but I changed it to ¼ cup of butter and a ¼ cup of shortening, which makes all the difference! I can only imagine what they would be like which all butter. I just can’t afford to use a whole stick of butter though every time I make this recipe. I’d go broke!

P.S. This is not a Martha Recipe either...

No comments:

Post a Comment