Sunday, September 13, 2009

Apple Crumb Pie

This is the a cross between a pie and a cobbler. The crust is more like a cobbler, but it’s formed in the shape of a pie.

The crust is your basic flour, sugar, butter mixture, but it also called for a cup of almonds. Nuts are like gold, or so it seems. So it probably works out that I don’t usually like nuts in my baked goods. This recipe seemed like it would really be awesome it in it though, but I couldn’t justify buying them still. Instead I put in 2 teaspoons of almond extract and a cup of oats. I think it was a good substitute. It still had the almond flavor at least. J So about 2/3 of that mixture you press and freeze for 15 minutes in the pie pan. Then you keep a 1 ½ or so to be sprinkled on the top.

The apple mixture was the basic apples, cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg mixture poured into the firm crust. I sprinkled the top with the rest of cobbler crust and into the oven it went.

The overall recipe was pretty basic. It was just time consuming with all the apples that had to be peeled and cored and sliced. It was after this that I bought a peeler and an apple corer. Haha, now I have to make something else involving apples so I can christen both of them. ;)

I brought this pie to a campout get together and ended up having to split if 12 ways! There were probably only 3 bites per person, but I think everyone enjoyed it! Next time I’ll make more!

2 comments: