Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread



My first loaf of yeasted bread that hasn’t turned out like a brick! Woot! This is the original recipe that I referenced, but I changed quite a lot. It’s still not quite what I want though. I’m going to try again and tweak it some more until I get it right.

So here is what I actually did:

1 1/8 cups warm water

2 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour

½ cup white bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup honey

1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten

1 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons ground flax seed

¼ oz active dry yeast (approx. 2 ¼ tsp.)

I put the warm water, yeast, and honey in the bread machine and let bubble for 10 minutes. Then I added the rest of the ingredients before hitting start on my bread machine.

I didn’t cook the bread in the bread machine, because last time I did that it didn’t work out so well. So after the bread had gone through both risings I put the dough in a grease loaf pan and baked it in the oven at 350˚ for about 30 minutes. Voila! I had bread! It was nice using the bread machine for the work, but it didn’t seem to work well for making the bread rise. I think next time I will do the rising myself and just knead in the bread machine.

Also, I added the flax seed instead of oil, which tasted fine right out of the oven, but the day after it was a little dry. Next time I think I will add another tablespoon of oil. If you’re having trouble finding bread flour, go to Winco! It’s an amazing store with barrels and barrels of bulk flour for cheap! You can find bread flour, pastry flour, cake flour, ground flax seed, nuts, oats, pasta, and more. It’s amazing. Go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment