Thursday, April 15, 2010

Potato-Onion Tartlets

These were a recipe from Martha’s book. They are basically exactly what they sound like: little potato onion tarts. The recipe called for puff pastry for the top crust part, but I’m not a huge fan of puff pastry and it calls for much too much butter than my poor self can afford, so I ended up using just a simple savoury tart crust.

I also didn’t have any mini tart pans, so I used my muffin tin instead. I buttered the tin and then put a few onion rings on the bottom, followed by the sliced potatoes. I sprinkle salt and pepper atop the potatoes before putting the tart circle cut out on top.

I put them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 425˚.

Then I proceeded to make the balsamic vinegar syrup, which consisted of ¼ cup balsamic vinegar with a pinch of sugar. You bring this to a simmer and reduce to a syrup.

The tartlets smelled really good when they were done, but tasting them wasn’t as good. They didn’t taste bad, they were just really bland. The best part was the vinegar, because it added something other than starch. There needed some other spices or something, but I’m not very good at picking out savoury spices. I’m good at the sweet stuff. J

I also don’t have a picture of these, because didn’t look that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment