Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chocolate Blackberry Ice Cream Cake



Okay, so I cheated on this one. I used a cake mix. I can’t find a good chocolate cake recipe. Not one that is as fluffy and moist as the Betty Crocker cake mixes anyway. Every time I’ve tried, I’m always disappointed. I blame the altitude. Most of the cakes I’ve tried call for too much liquid and they sink because of the high Utah altitude. I need to just make me own. For this one I cheated. I used one dark chocolate Betty Crocker cake mix, which I added the oil and eggs it called for. Instead of water though I put in coffee, which brings out the chocolate flavor more. I also added half a packet of chocolate pudding to make it even more chocolatey. I baked the cake in two 9” round cake pans.

I did make the ice cream from scratch though. J I didn’t even have a recipe for it I just had leftover cream that I didn’t know what I would use for so I put it into my little ice cream make with some milk, sugar, and vanilla. Once the ice cream started to set up somewhat I added in the blackberries and let it go for the rest of the time.

Once the cakes were cooled I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer overnight. The next day I pulled out the ice cream to let it thaw so I could spread it on the cake. I put the ice cream in between the two cake rounds and then wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for another hour before frosting.

I also cheated on the frosting too. I bought two cans of Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate frosting. A lesson in buying frosting the store: ALWAYS buy Betty Crocker. Duncan Hines sucks ass, and Pillsbury is not much better. That is all.

After frosting the whole cake I put it back into the freezer. This cake was super yummy!! I had never made a cake with ice cream, so I happy it turned out so good. My sister really liked it, which was good since it was her birthday cake. The only complaint I had was that I think it would have been better with store bought ice cream, because my homemade was rock when put in the cake. I think store bought ice cream would have stayed softer. Though maybe not?

1 comment:

  1. why oh why was I not present when you made this cake!?! It...Looks...quite simply...double awesome.
    -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete