Saturday, January 9, 2010

Brownies


For years I have sucked at making brownies. Even when using a mix they have ended up in disaster. It was not until this last year that I found a recipe that didn’t end up in a gooey glob of a mess in the end.

Surprisingly, this is a Martha recipe! I like them because they call for chocolate instead of cocoa making them a denser brownie. Plus, it doesn’t have that flakey crust, which I’ve found a lot of people like, but I hate it. Her recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, which usually ends up more expensive. I’ve found though that it’s just as easy and cheaper to user semi-sweet and not add as much sugar. I just use the semi-sweet chips, because they are cheap, but they also melt faster than buying a big block of chocolate.

It’s essential too to melt the chocolate with a double boiler. Yes, I know, it’s tempting to stick it in the microwave and just zap melt it. BUT I cannot tell you how many times that I’ve burned my chocolate this way. Just be patient and melt it the old fashioned way.

I also like to sprinkle my brownies with a mini-chocolate chips. It’s fun and cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment