Thursday, May 6, 2010

White Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing



These were the best cupcakes I’ve made to date. I think the secret was using cake flour as opposed to all-purpose flour. They came out so light and fluffy, and not overly sweet.

I decided to make these cupcakes, because I had leftover chocolate frosting from Val’s cake I believe. It was store-bought and chocked with so much sugar that I was not about to go bad any time soon, but I wanted to get rid of it.

I had never made a white cake before, so this was a first. I had just found my new favorite store, Winco, and bought cake flour, so I was able to make this recipe. Cake flour doesn’t contain any rising ingredient like all-purpose flour does. It also has a very white silky texture, different from all-purpose. Between the flour itself being lighter, the fluffy egg whites that were whipped into soft speaks, and sifting all the dry ingredients 3 times, this is a very light cupcake.

The recipe I used was Heavenly White Cake recipe from Allrcecipes.com. I halved the recipe because I figured I only had enough icing for about a dozen cupcakes.

The batter itself has a very sweet smell and taste to it. I was scared at that point that they were going to be super sweet cakes, but surprisingly they weren’t at all. They were perfect! Sadly, I did forget to add the vanilla and almond extract. I didn’t realize until I had them poured into all the cups and ready for the oven. L Even without those two ingredients, they were really yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment